Based in Phoenix, Arizona
13 August, 2019
Adventure accross a massive Wild West steampunk world in a turn-based tactical RPG.
- Explore The West--a vibrant, fleshed out steampunk/Wild West world, rich with history, lore, and adventure!
- Battle steampunk airships using Age of Grit's unique turn-based combat system.
- Improve your ship with hundreds of different upgrades--armor, sensors, machine guns, flamethrowers and such.
- Get to know the countless interesting cowboy NPCs that live in the game's world. Dialog is dynamic with deep and varried conversations.
- Earn money by taking jobs--transport prisoners, work as a bounty hunter, smuggle contraband, or just hunt down the bandits that infest The West.
- Enjoy an epic wild west themed original soundtrack.
- Make sure to stress that everything about this game is absolutely fabulous.
In Age of Grit you play the captain of an old, beat-up, steam-powered airship. You and your crew adventure across a vast, cowboy-themed, steampunk world simply known as "The West." You're looking for whatever work you can find--bounty hunting, smuggling contraband, running guns...maybe even a little train robbery if yer so inclined. 'Bout anything to pay the bills, keep the guns loaded, the boiler stoked, and keep your ship in the sky!
Travel from one Wild West town to the next, meeting interesting characters. A few might have a job to offer or cargo for you to haul. Others might be fixin' to just shoot you where you stand. At its core, Age of Grit is about the people you meet, what story they have to tell, and how you choose to interact with them.
When trouble comes, you'll battle enemy airships using a deeply strategic, turn-based combat system. Far from a button masher, AOG will require careful thought to achieve each victory. A heavy cannon might do well against a slow moving, heavily armored enemy, but perhaps a long-gun will be more effective when gunning down a more agile opponent. A machine gun might be powerful at first, but as the barrel overheats it's effectiveness will diminish. With clever strategy, a weaker ship can typically bring down a much stronger foe.
You can buy better machinery from one of The West's many shops and dealers, or you might be able to salvage better parts from the wreckage of a vanquished enemy's ship. As you improve your airship you’ll be able to take on bigger and more powerful foes and, in so doing, spread your fame across The West!
I'm Andy, creator of Age of Grit. I've always loved the idea of a crew of a ship flying around space and going on adventures. Whether it's Han Solo and company in the Empire Strikes Back, Revan, HK-47 and friends aboard the Ebon Hawk in KOTOR, or–who could possibly forget–Mal and his rag tag crew in Firefly. There's something just magical about it--the idea of going on adventures from the comfort of a mobile base/home with a crew who live and work together like a family. I especially love when our ship in question is not a spaceship but an airship of some sort--something about that makes it more grounded and--to me at least--super cool. Think Cloud and his NPC buddies on the Highwind in Final Fantasy VII or the Nebuchadnezzar captained by Morpheus in The Matrix.
These are the thoughts and feelings that formed the foundation for Age of Grit. I combined this love for a ship and her crew adventuring all about with my passions for steampunk and–of course–the Wild West. I mean, aren't cowboy's just awesome? But there's a problem with cowboys--to a degree your trapped by confines of history. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anything about cowboy smugglers flying around airships during the 1800s. So I created a new and unique world: The West. I filled the world with everything that makes both westerns and steampunk cool: bounty hunters, airships, smugglers, Gatling-guns, outlaws, Gatling-guns, crazy steam powered contraptions, and most definetly tons of Gatling-guns.
After a Kickstarter to help raise initial funding (for artwork and dev help), years of grind, another Kickstarter that failed to reach it's goal, and then more years of grind, Age of Grit is finally ready for public consumption. I hope players have a blast and love the game world as much as I do! For our whole team this has truly been a labor of love and we hope it shows. There's certainly room for improvement and we'll greatly relish any feedback we get--the game has been hidden away on our hard drives for years now and a little sunlight should be extremely beneficial.
Age of Grit Trailer YouTube
Disarmed - Animated Short YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Age of Grit isn't agraid to have tis cake and build a mighty machine of gears and steam and engines to devour it too."
- Ben Barrett, Rock, Paper Shotgun
- "Age of Grit looks like a perfect example of a science fiction/steam punk hybrid that might intrigue those who are fans of Firefly or Cowboy Bebop."
- Garret Glass, The Koalition
- "Age of Grit folows the struggles and adventures of a lone airship owned and controlled by the player...It also seeks to create the unlikely amalgam of steampunk and cowboys, inspired mostly by science fiction smugglers and gritty traders."
- RMandal, IGM
- "The most remarkable thing about Age of Grit, however, is its great RPG elements... Characters will be suitably fleshed-out, and your characters will progress in way that demands thought and attention to synergy."
- Nathaniel Liles, CLIQIST
- "Firefly meets steampunk – and Final Fantasy meets the Wild West – in a local develop's turn-based RPG."
- Alex Ferri, arizona/gamer
- "Rather than being spoon-fed boring fetch quests, you'll instead need to track down various NPCs in each town – all of whom have unique personalities and agendas – and chat them up to see what exactly looks like your best bet going forward."
- Clovis L. Dye Jr., iFanzine
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
About IQ Soup
IQ Soup is a small indie studio passionate about crafting story-focused RPGs set in rich and interesting worlds.
More information on IQ Soup, our logo & relevant media are available here.